The usefulness of being (pretty much) bilingual

Growing up, I used to move house from city to city and several times from continent to continent. But because of this, it's meant that I've experienced LOTS of different cultures in the short time I've been alive.

The list of places I've lived in is humongous, however I do have some favourites of where I've lived which are:


  • Avallon, France. Definitely my favourite place to have lived. The town was beautiful with olden buildings and fairly close the the capital, Paris, as well as being close to Dijon and Auxerre. The house we had was way too big for us (you could ride your bike in the garage) and we used to live next to a huge forest which me and my dad would go walking in on weekends, finding new paths each weekend of the 4/5 years we lived there. Having been given the chance to live in France was probably one of the best things for me, I got to learn a whole new language (and gain the accent) which has greatly helped me in my French GCSE, as I got an A* overall, with full marks in my writing and speaking tests. (The area is also rumoured to have been the 'Avalon' in legends to do with Prince Arthur, ooo exciting!). 

  • Hertford, (near London). Also a really nice place to live, surrounded by countryside and a short train ride away from London. Lewis Hamilton was supposedly born in the next village over. Hertford had really nice canals that stretched for miles which used to house some really friendly geese and swans. Unfortunately the area was far too expensive for us to live in, but I'd really like to return one day.

  • Ivybridge, Devon. Once again, surrounded by the countryside but not too distant from Plymouth. The area really was spectacular and occasionally, my family and I would go to one of the local beaches to collect mussels, cockles and clams (sometimes even oysters). Dartmoor was literally in some of my friends' back gardens and wildlife was all around.

I really hope I can visit these places in the near future as I'd like to see how much these places have or haven't changed. As I said, living in France for so long was definitely a blessing as I'm almost fluent in the language (but I do have to be propped sometimes for it to all come flooding back out) and now if a website is in French without the option to translate it, I can pretty much read through it as English and my brain will just automatically translate it (which is pretty sweet).

Anyway, all my exams are over for about a month, so music updates should become pretty regular from now on! Also, you should check out Bastille's new video for their latest single 'Pompeii' here (it's a bit creepy but it fits, it also reminds me of Supernatural if anyone else watches that).

So that's all for today, hope you're all good and haven't fallen on any ice like I have! Thanks for reading and see guys soon! ☺

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you're practically fluent in French! I can imagine getting to live in France would have really helped with that. Btw, my name's Catty too! (Well, actually Catherine, but my friends call me Catty! What a coincidence!)

    Catherine/Catty :)
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete